ambari-user mailing list archives

From Sumit Mohanty <smoha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: UPGRADE
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:36:25 GMT
We have not thought of that yet. Some of the current design will remain but
Ambari has support for custom command/action as well as declarative
application specification now. That allows for some more tools to use
during upgrade. So we will definitely try to take advantage of that.

Let me dig up the JIRAs with the details and share them.

-Sumit

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Aaron Cody <acody@hexiscyber.com> wrote:

> Will you be finishing the existing implementation or going in a different
> direction? Can you share any preliminary design docs?
> thanks
>
> From: Sumit Mohanty <smohanty@hortonworks.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:03:18 -0800
>
> To: <user@ambari.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: UPGRADE
>
> We do plan to support automatic upgrade as a feature. At this point, this
> effort is not scheduled for any specific release yet.
>
> -Sumit
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Aaron Cody <acody@hexiscyber.com> wrote:
>
>> ok thanks Sumit - is this a feature you plan to finish or is it now
>> abandoned for the 'manual' method?
>>
>> From: Sumit Mohanty <smohanty@hortonworks.com>
>> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:26:41 -0800
>> To: <user@ambari.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: UPGRADE
>>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Ambari does not support automatic upgrade of the stack yet. What you see
>> are remnants of the feature that we started working on but it is not
>> complete.
>>
>> Upgrade, for now, is manual and there are documented steps on how to do
>> it.
>>
>> -Sumit
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Aaron Cody <acody@hexiscyber.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> I'm trying to figure out how upgrade works in Ambari ... I see there is an
>>> UPGRADE role and various upgrade states in the state machine, but so far I
>>> haven't spotted any information as to how it is supposed to work .. (i'm
>>> using 1.2.4) .. is it a work in progress?
>>> - how do you upgrade from the GUI?
>>> - how do you upgrade from the REST api?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE