ambari-user mailing list archives

From Siddharth Wagle <swa...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: bootstrap hdfs
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:30:38 GMT
Hi Aaron,

The directories in HDFS that you noticed on first installation are all
created after Namenode is started by Ambari.
Every restart of NN, Ambari agent code will check for the directories and
create them if not already present.

Could you provide the error message that you are getting in the web UI ?

Also, make sure to check Namenode logs
(/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/*-namenode.log).
There is a possibility that the Namenode comes up and is shutdown because
of some error.

Best Regards,
Sid

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Aaron Zimmerman <
azimmerman@sproutsocial.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Siddharth,
>
> I tried it and the namenode came back (I had to delete the local data
> directories as well).
>
> But the other services did not work.  Specifically it was dying on oozie
> server install, appears to be trying to create hdfs directories without
> success.  Does the /var/run directory serve as markers for initialization?
>  If so, perhaps deleting the subdir of each service will reinitialize all
> components?
>
> There is still nothing in hdfs.  On my first installation, after
> installing software on the cluster nodes, the file system had a bunch of
> stuff in it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron Zimmerman
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Siddharth Wagle <swagle@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Could you check if the following stub file exists:
>> /var/run/hadoop/hdfs/namenode-formatted ?
>>
>> A restart of NN through Ambari should create all the required directories
>> for you.
>> Go ahead and delete the stub if it exists and restart the NN through
>> Ambari web UI.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Sid
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Aaron Zimmerman <
>> azimmerman@sproutsocial.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I had to reformat the namenode under an ambari managed cluster, and HDFS
>>> came back online no problem, but the various dependent services fail
>>> (seemingly because of missing directories, such as /user/... and /etc, and
>>> /tmp.  Is there a way to get ambari to recreate these various directories,
>>> permissions, etc?
>>>
>>> If not, is there a guide somewhere that could help me recreate it
>>> manually?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Aaron Zimmerman
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE