ambari-user mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: bootstrap hdfs
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:40:09 GMT
It might be that you need to clean up both the directories on the namenode as well as the datanodes
especially if you triggered a re-format of HDFS ( caused by deleting "/var/run/hadoop/hdfs/namenode-formatted"
on the NN ).

@Siddharth, can you confirm the above.

thanks
-- Hitesh

On Jan 6, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Siddharth Wagle wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> The directories in HDFS that you noticed on first installation are all created after
Namenode is started by Ambari.
> Every restart of NN, Ambari agent code will check for the directories and create them
if not already present.

> Could you provide the error message that you are getting in the web UI ?
>
> Also, make sure to check Namenode logs (/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/*-namenode.log).
> There is a possibility that the Namenode comes up and is shutdown because of some error.

> Best Regards,
> Sid
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Aaron Zimmerman <azimmerman@sproutsocial.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Siddharth,
>
> I tried it and the namenode came back (I had to delete the local data directories as
well).

> But the other services did not work.  Specifically it was dying on oozie server install,
appears to be trying to create hdfs directories without success.  Does the /var/run directory
serve as markers for initialization?  If so, perhaps deleting the subdir of each service will
reinitialize all components?

> There is still nothing in hdfs.  On my first installation, after installing software
on the cluster nodes, the file system had a bunch of stuff in it.

> Thanks,
>
> Aaron Zimmerman
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Siddharth Wagle <swagle@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Could you check if the following stub file exists: /var/run/hadoop/hdfs/namenode-formatted
?

> A restart of NN through Ambari should create all the required directories for you.
> Go ahead and delete the stub if it exists and restart the NN through Ambari web UI.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sid
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Aaron Zimmerman <azimmerman@sproutsocial.com>
wrote:
> I had to reformat the namenode under an ambari managed cluster, and HDFS came back online
no problem, but the various dependent services fail (seemingly because of missing directories,
such as /user/... and /etc, and /tmp.  Is there a way to get ambari to recreate these various
directories, permissions, etc?

> If not, is there a guide somewhere that could help me recreate it manually?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron Zimmerman
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure
or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.