ambari-user mailing list archives

From Steven Núñez <steven.nu...@illation.com>
Subject Re: Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:10:28 GMT
Thanks. That issue answers pretty much all the questions. I’d certainly give it a +1 if I
had a login. That definitely seems like the right direction to move in. I don’t know the
internals, but if everyone is using BigTop for packaging, perhaps there’s some way to read
the manifest files (if that’s what they’re called) to produce what Ambari needs for management.

From: Chris Mildebrandt <chris@woodenrhino.com<mailto:chris@woodenrhino.com>>
Date: Tuesday, 31 December 2013 7:57
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>
Cc: "user@bigtop.apache.org<mailto:user@bigtop.apache.org>" <user@bigtop.apache.org<mailto:user@bigtop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options

You may want to watch this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-3524

and include it in your write-up for future considerations. Though there hasn't been much activity
on it.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Steven Núñez <steven.nunez@illation.com<mailto:steven.nunez@illation.com>>
wrote:
Seasons Greetings All,

I’m doing a bit of a write-up on the various Hadoop distributions and would like to understand
exactly what packages are installed by the Apache version of Ambari. It’s an exciting place
to be working (big data & Hadoop) but the lines are blurred in many ways. The way I see
the open source landscape now is something like this (from a management/installation/configuration
perspective):

BigTop -> RPM like packaging for Hadoop
Ambari -> GUI management/monitoring/provisioning

Looking at it from a vendor perspective, we’ve got (I know there are others, this is just
for discussion):

BigTop (packaging)
CDH
HDP
Apache Bigtop

Cloudera
Cloudera Manager (closed source, commercial)

Hortonworks / Apache
Ambari(open source)

The CDH, BigTop and HDP (I assume) base distributions require a lot of manual configuration,
so the best way to spin up a cluster with a reasonable set of applications (say HDFS, YARN,
Hive, HCatalog, HBase, ZooKeeper, Oozie, Pig, Sqoop) is to use CDH + CM or Ambari + HDP.

Is there an equivalent for Apache? If I use the kit found at ambari.apache.org<http://ambari.apache.org>
to spin up a cluster, do I get Apache components, or the HDP distribution? I’m trying to
define the ‘Apache distribution’ in my mind, if there is one, and understand exactly what
its capabilities are, and cluster management is rather fundamental, since not many folks have
the luxury of spending time climbing the long, steep learning curve of Hadoop ecosystem configuration.

Cheers,
- SteveN