ambari-user mailing list archives

From Chadwick Banning <chadwickbann...@gmail.com>
Subject Journal Nodes in a multi-site environment
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:35:24 GMT
Hi all,

I have an Ambari 1.4/HDP 2.0.6 environment that is split between two data
centers -- a main site and a recovery site.  We have NameNode HA enabled
with automatic failover and the problem we are facing is how to divide the
journal nodes across both sites so that failover happens appropriately.

It seems that only one site will always have a majority of journal nodes
and if that site NN were to go down, the other site NN would no longer be
able to start as it couldn't reach a majority of the journal nodes.

Is there any way around this?  I know an odd number of journal nodes is
recommended but what would happen if we were to place an even number of
journal nodes at each site?

Thanks for any input!