ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2018 19:58:57 GMT
+1

´╗┐On 1/28/18, 11:56 AM, "Dmytro Grinenko" <dgrinenko@hortonworks.com> wrote:

    +1

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Siddharth Wagle [mailto:swagle@hortonworks.com]
    Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 7:19 AM
    To: dev@ambari.apache.org
    Subject: [DISCUSS] Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch

    Hi devs,

    We had a brief discussion about the release management of Ambari w.r.t to the new work
that is on-going with Mpacks and multi-services, amongst the developers working on the respective
pieces. The main point of discussion was that although Metrics and LogSearch are sub-projects
of Ambari, the release cadence of these sub-projects and Ambari core does not have to be tied
together. Having an Infra Mpack will allow changes to these two modules to be published independently.

    The general consensus was to have separate repos for Ambari Metrics, Ambari Log Search
and Ambari Infra which would mean we can build and version these modules separately and simplify
the release process. I wanted to start a discuss/vote thread for this. I will follow this
up with an Infra ticket to fork off the git repos for Ambari Metrics, Ambari LogSearch and
Ambari Infra separate from the core codebase once we reach consensus.

    Note: These sub-projects do not have any compile-time or run-time dependencies on Ambari
except logical dependency on Ambari stack advisor feature to configure the services correctly
based on cluster resources. With the MPack effort this behavior will be delegated to individual
stack services and the corresponding code will be housed in the service repos anyways. Ambari
depends on Ambari Metrics at compile time on the ambari-metrics-common module which is already
published to maven central and we would continue to do so if anything changes in the common
library.

    [ ] +1 approve
    [ ] +0 no opinion
    [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)