ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Future code review and commit process
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:40:29 GMT
Yes, I mis-read the original email from Vivek. You have to work in your own fork of Ambari.
Every pull request is done between the public branch and a branch in your local forked repo,
right?

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 11:32 AM, Attila Doroszlai <adoroszlai@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> *   Since this new flow model requires a branch for a commit, we should enforce a
naming strategy. These short-lived feature branches for commits must be easy to find and remove.
We should also make the community aware that once you have had your pull request merged, you
should get rid of your branch. As for branch naming conventions, I haven't thought through
it very much, but perhaps simply the name of the associated JIRA, such as AMBARI-12345.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the branch to be merged should be created in your own fork,
not in the apache/ambari repo.  Otherwise non-committers would not be able to create pull
requests.  I think this eliminates the need to coordinate branch naming, although some convention
or pattern would be helpful anyway.