ambari-dev mailing list archives

From "Yussuf Shaikh" <yus...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] AMBARI-21674 (Ambari to support Hybrid cluster).
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2017 06:38:48 GMT
Hi All,

Need to propose a feature for Ambari to support hybrid cluster. Hybrid
cluster means having multiple hosts with different OS architectures.
Examples as given below:
1.      Set up Ambari cluster with 2 RHEL-7 x86 and 1 RHEL-7 Power hosts.
2.      Add a RHEL-7 Power host to existing Ambari cluster of RHEL-7 x86
hosts and vice versa.

We have setup a Hybrid cluster manually with x86_64 and ppc64le hosts with
some workarounds and were able to run Hadoop jobs successfully.
Workarounds include:
1.      Setting up yum repos for Ambari, HDP & HDP-UTILS.
2.      Use of same JAVA_HOME on all the hosts (note that ppc host will
have different path for default JDK as that of x86).

JIRA has been already created which links to AMBARI-21674 (Ambari to
support Hybrid cluster). Hope to get some comments with questions and
suggestions about it. We have been exploring the design and code changes
for some time now.

Regards,
Yussuf Shaikh