ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Git Feature Branches
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:51:25 GMT
Hi Rob,

I don't think an epic is necessarily required. Cases where the changes are complex or could
destabilize the trunk but don't span more than a few JIRAs probably don't need an Epic. For
example, I see you've been working on adding Kerberos authentication to Ambari (awesome!)
... In this case, you might not have needed an epic if the work was only going to span a few
different JIRAs. Since it did deal with logging into Ambari, a mistake here could render Ambari
unusable, so its good to make your changes in a feature branch to test.

With that said, using an epic to track and group child JIRAs certainly helps with the organization.
In the case where you have an epic, yes, you are correct. The child JIRAs would be the commits
you see on the feature branch. And when you successfully merge back into trunk, you can close
the epic.

For example, let's say you had an Epic where Ambari needs to make toast. You'd have this in
JIRA:

AMBARI-1 - Implement Toast Making
  AMBARI-2 - Slice Bread
  AMBARI-3 - Buy Toaster
  AMBARI-4 - Magic
  AMBARI-5 - Unit Tests for Making Toast

You feature branch would be called branch-feature-AMBARI-1 and would contain these commits:
  AMBARI-2 - Slice Bread
  AMBARI-3 - Buy Toaster
  AMBARI-4 - Magic
  AMBARI-5 - Unit Tests for Making Toast

When you merge back in, each child JIRA appears on trunk. The master Epic, AMBARI-1, does
not, and can now be resolved.

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 9:38 AM, Robert Levas <rlevas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Jonathan…
>
> Thanks for the wiki page. This is great.  Before reading it, I was a bit confused on
how feature branches work.

> Based on the content of your wiki page, it seems like a feature branch should be related
to an Epic and then all commits to that branch should be related to child JIRAs of that Epic.
 Would this be a good approach to take, or would the additional Epic create too much unnecessary
overhead?

> Rob
>

> On 9/26/16, 9:11 AM, "Jonathan Hurley" <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>    Hi Apache developers,
>
>    I put together a simple wiki page outlining the strategy for using feature branches
which I think will help us keep our trunk branch stable as we move forward with new development:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Git+Feature+Branches

>    Please have a look and feel free to provide feedback or edit it. The goal was to keep
it simple and introduce committers to the feature branch workflow.

>    We should all adopt this practice for both new features as well as non-feature changes
which could potentially destabilize trunk.