ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jungtaek Lim <kabh...@gmail.com>
Subject Not intuitive behavior of AMS Grafana query
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 03:06:06 GMT
Hi devs,

I'm posting thread instead of filing an issue since I'm not sure it's a bug
or by intention.

While I'm playing with AMS Grafana integration with Ambari 2.2.2, I found
that metric field accepts wildcard ('%25' for '%') and multiple metric
names (',') and host accepts multiple host names (',') but graph is showing
only one.

Please refer this screenshot.

[image: ams-grafana-plugin-not-intuitive-behavior.png]
Actually multiple metrics are matched but it shows only first one. Please
note that the graph is not showing aggregated values.

If we modify js a bit, it shows multiple metrics. Please refer below.

[image: ams-grafana-plugin-not-intuitive-behavior-after-js-modification.png]

While using '%25' feels kind of hack, there's a way to match multiple
metrics anyway, and origin result seems not intuitive.

What do you think? Would we want to address plugin to show latter result?
Or just restricting metric and hosts input to not containing wildcard and
comma?

And what do you think about providing aggregation between multiple series
like sumSeries / averageSeries / minSeries / maxSeries on graphite? Storm
metric changes need this feature to aggregate task level metrics by
component.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)