ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Aravindan Vijayan <avija...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Not intuitive behavior of AMS Grafana query
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:04:45 GMT
Hi Jungtaek,

The AMS-Grafana query editor was designed to support only 1 metric & At most 1 host value
per entry. You can use a cloned version of templated dashboard like "System-Servers" to see
metrics for multiple hosts, for Storm.

However, the AMS API which is used by Grafana supports multiple metric names as well as multiple
hostnames separated by comma.
For example,
http://<collector_host>:6188/ws/v1/timeline/metrics?metricNames=disk_free,disk_used&hostname=h1,h2&appId=HOST<http://172.22.80.171:6188/ws/v1/timeline/metrics?metricNames=disk_free,disk_used&appId=HOST>

Regarding your query on aggregation, if any metric(s) is requested WITHOUT host, it is by
default an aggregated value across all hosts. You can select the aggregation function in the
drop down as well. By default, it is average. For example, all the graphs on Hbase-Home dashboard
show aggregated metrics across all HBase hosts.

Thanks!
--
Thanks and Regards,
Aravindan Vijayan

From: Jungtaek Lim
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM
To: "dev@ambari.apache.org<mailto:dev@ambari.apache.org>"
Subject: Not intuitive behavior of AMS Grafana query

Hi devs,

I'm posting thread instead of filing an issue since I'm not sure it's a bug or by intention.

While I'm playing with AMS Grafana integration with Ambari 2.2.2, I found that metric field
accepts wildcard ('%25' for '%') and multiple metric names (',') and host accepts multiple
host names (',') but graph is showing only one.

Please refer this screenshot.

[ams-grafana-plugin-not-intuitive-behavior.png]
Actually multiple metrics are matched but it shows only first one. Please note that the graph
is not showing aggregated values.

If we modify js a bit, it shows multiple metrics. Please refer below.

[ams-grafana-plugin-not-intuitive-behavior-after-js-modification.png]

While using '%25' feels kind of hack, there's a way to match multiple metrics anyway, and
origin result seems not intuitive.

What do you think? Would we want to address plugin to show latter result? Or just restricting
metric and hosts input to not containing wildcard and comma?

And what do you think about providing aggregation between multiple series like sumSeries /
averageSeries / minSeries / maxSeries on graphite? Storm metric changes need this feature
to aggregate task level metrics by component.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)