ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Hill <greg.h...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject Re: Resolution time for issues / development practices
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 16:45:04 GMT
I mostly agree with what you're saying.  I definitely don't want to kill
the velocity in Ambari, but it's impossible to keep up with the deluge of
JIRAs that get opened and fixed in each point release.  2.1.2 had 377
JIRAs marked as Fixed, 2.2.0 has 719 (639 of those were marked as bugs).
Is Ambari just that buggy?  Are the tests that insufficient?  It seems
like we should maybe take a step back as a community and address the
problems that result in 639 bug fixes in a point release.  That's
exceedingly high for a project of this size and scope.  Maybe the velocity
of changes is creating more bugs than it's fixing?  Are code reviews not
giving sufficient scrutiny to new contributions?  Are there major
architectural problems that make bugs so common? I hope some of the core
developers on the project will chime in with their thoughts on how to move
things in a better direction, because frankly upgrading to 2.2.0 scares
me.  We're on 2.1.1 and have worked around most of the bugs we've run
into.  I don't want to find out what new bugs were created by the 1100
JIRAs that have been closed in the meantime.

I don't mean to call anyone out here.  I just want to see things get
better.  A new release of Ambari should be seamless. It shouldn't cause
panic. How can we fix it and how can we get the community involved in
making it better? As I say this I realize that I haven't contributed as
much as I've meant to. I'll work on fixing that.

Greg