ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Yusaku Sako <yus...@hortonworks.com>
Subject RE: Lots of JIRA patches missing
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2015 05:26:53 GMT
Lars, thanks for pointing that out.
Wow, that is a lot of JIRAs without patches.
Yes, all JIRAs that resulted in commits should have patches attached.
That’s how patches get tested automatically by the “Hadoop QA” job.
This is part of the dev process defined per [1].

All contributors/committers, please review the dev process doc and follow it.
It’s very important that everyone follow the process to maintain quality.

By looking at the JQL results, it looks like some folks have started treating ReviewBoard
links as a replacement for attaching patches directly on JIRAs.
This practice is not an acceptable because the whole pre-commit checks are bypassed.

Going forward, let's keep a close eye on this and call out when patches are not attached.
We can monitor the JIRA query [2], if anyone would like to volunteer with this enforcement.

Yusaku

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hz7qjGKkNeckMibEs67ZmAa2kxjie0zkG6H_IiC2RgA/edit?pli=1
[2] http://s.apache.org/trC

===

Hi,

I've been digging into lots of Ambari issues in the last few days and found
lots (maybe thousands[0] but my JQL foo may be weak) of closed and
committed issues that have no patch attached. According to the contributor
guidelines[1] (and maybe even some Apache rules somewhere? Making that up)
the patch needs to be attached to JIRA and a ReviewBoard link can
optionally be created as well.

I would ask you to please follow your own guidelines and attach at least
the final patch that was committed to JIRA issues. It makes contributing
and research for new users much easier.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Lars

[0] <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=3Dproject%20%3D%20AMBARI%20AND%2=
0status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20resolution%20in%20(Fixed%2C%2=
0Implemented%2C%20Done)%20AND%20%22Attachment%20count%22%20%3C%3D%20%220%22=
%20AND%20%22Attachment%20count%22%20%3E%3D%20%220%22