ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Ambari dev environment for OSX
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:16:51 GMT
It is posible to run Ambari Server locally on OSX (I do), but there are drawbacks to this approach.
You won’t be able to bootstrap any of the agents during cluster provisioning and the kerberos
commands don’t work with OSX’s kerberos distro (heimdal).

So, you’ll need to still run agents on Linux and you’ll need to install them manually
and register them manually. You also can’t use any of the python code on OSX, including
ambari-server.py. So, you won’t be installing Ambari Server, you’ll be running the Java
class from your IDE directly.

If you still want to run Ambari Server on OSX, then the process is pretty straightforward:
- Install postgres
- Load the source code in your IDE of choice
- Have your own ambari.properties and ensure to include it on the classpath when launching
from the IDE. This is probably the hardest part to setup since you’ll need to override a
ton of properties to get Ambari to start on OSX. Here are some examples:

bootstrap.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/bootstrap
bootstrap.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/python/bootstrap.py
bootstrap.setup_agent.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/python/setupAgent.py
bootstrap.master_host_name=192.168.64.1

java.home=/usr/jdk64/jdk1.7.0_45
jdk.name=jdk-7u45-linux-x64.tar.gz

resources.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/resources

server.persistence.inMemory=false
server.os_family=redhat6
server.os_type=centos6

# postgres
server.jdbc.database_name=ambari
server.jdbc.user.name=ambari-server

server.version.file=/foo/dev/ambari/conf/version

metadata.path=src/main/resources/stacks
security.server.keys_dir=/foo/dev/ambari/keystore
security.server.passphrase=DEV

shared.resources.dir=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-common/src/main/python/ambari_commons/resources
custom.action.definitions=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources/custom_action_definitions
recommendations.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/stack-recommendations
stackadvisor.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources/scripts/stack_advisor.py
webapp.dir=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-web/public
views.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/views
common.services.path=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources/common-services

On Apr 15, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Halterman, Jonathan <jonathan.halterman@hp.com<mailto:jonathan.halterman@hp.com>>