ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Ambari dev environment for OSX
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:30:15 GMT
Yes, as I mentioned you’d need to install postgres (or any of the other databases we support)
on OSX. I used embedded postgres locally for testing. I have some scripts that initialize
my database for me:

echo 'Dropping old...'
sudo -u postgresql psql password=password -f /foo/ambari-server/src/main/resources/Ambari-DDL-Postgres-EMBEDDED-DROP.sql
-v dbname="ambari"

echo 'Creating new...'
sudo -u postgres psql password=password -f /foo/ambari-server/src/main/resources/Ambari-DDL-Postgres-EMBEDDED-CREATE.sql
-v username="\"ambari-server\"" -v password=\'bigdata\' -v dbname=ambari

> On Apr 18, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Another approach is to use Docker (in OSX you have to use it with
> boot2docker). But there is some information on how to accomplish this at [1]
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/ambari/tree/trunk/dev-support/docker
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Halterman, Jonathan <
> jonathan.halterman@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info. Running the server from the IDE or command line is
>> fine for me. But aside from the initial install and overriding properties,
>> it seems like there is some database setup that needs to be done - loading
>> an initial schema, creating a user, role, etc. The schema file looks to be
>> parameterized for loading via ambari-server.py which is one of the reasons
>> I was hoping ambari-server.py could be made to work on OS X. Is there any
>> reason it couldn¹t be, or do you have any pointers on the database setup?
>>
>> - jonathan
>>
>> On 4/16/15, 10:16 AM, "Jonathan Hurley" <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is posible to run Ambari Server locally on OSX (I do), but there are
>>> drawbacks to this approach. You won¹t be able to bootstrap any of the
>>> agents during cluster provisioning and the kerberos commands don¹t work
>>> with OSX¹s kerberos distro (heimdal).
>>>
>>> So, you¹ll need to still run agents on Linux and you¹ll need to install
>>> them manually and register them manually. You also can¹t use any of the
>>> python code on OSX, including ambari-server.py. So, you won¹t be
>>> installing Ambari Server, you¹ll be running the Java class from your IDE
>>> directly.
>>>
>>> If you still want to run Ambari Server on OSX, then the process is pretty
>>> straightforward:
>>> - Install postgres
>>> - Load the source code in your IDE of choice
>>> - Have your own ambari.properties and ensure to include it on the
>>> classpath when launching from the IDE. This is probably the hardest part
>>> to setup since you¹ll need to override a ton of properties to get Ambari
>>> to start on OSX. Here are some examples:
>>>
>>> bootstrap.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/bootstrap
>>> bootstrap.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/python/bootstrap.p
>>> y
>>> bootstrap.setup_agent.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/python
>>> /setupAgent.py
>>> bootstrap.master_host_name=192.168.64.1
>>>
>>> java.home=/usr/jdk64/jdk1.7.0_45
>>> jdk.name=jdk-7u45-linux-x64.tar.gz
>>>
>>> resources.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/resources
>>>
>>> server.persistence.inMemory=false
>>> server.os_family=redhat6
>>> server.os_type=centos6
>>>
>>> # postgres
>>> server.jdbc.database_name=ambari
>>> server.jdbc.user.name=ambari-server
>>>
>>> server.version.file=/foo/dev/ambari/conf/version
>>>
>>> metadata.path=src/main/resources/stacks
>>> security.server.keys_dir=/foo/dev/ambari/keystore
>>> security.server.passphrase=DEV
>>>
>>> shared.resources.dir=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-common/src/main/python/ambari_
>>> commons/resources
>>> custom.action.definitions=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources
>>> /custom_action_definitions
>>> recommendations.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/stack-recommendations
>>> stackadvisor.script=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources/scrip
>>> ts/stack_advisor.py
>>> webapp.dir=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-web/public
>>> views.dir=/foo/dev/ambari/views
>>> common.services.path=/foo/src/ambari/ambari-server/src/main/resources/comm