ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject About extensibility of Ambari stacks (not inheritance)
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 01:42:30 GMT
Guys,

I am looking into possible stack extensibility properties of Ambari (not to be
confused with inheritance), but haven't been able to derive any final
conclusions just yet. Hence, I'd appreciate the input from the people behind
the system.

I have a few questions about current state of the Ambari (version 1.6.1 and
coming 1.7, and possibly later?) with regards to ability to expand an existing
stack definitions with a 3rd party services and do it in the runtime, rather
than only during the installation. We need to be able to run a multiple
instances of our master service in the cluster, which isn't typical for
"normal" Hadoop concept where only one master can exist for any giving
service.

Our use case is to be able to amend an exiting cluster setup (HDP, Bigtop,
etc.) with a new service running on top of HDFS; but not to reinstall the
whole stack. The reason we have the use case is that oftentimes our software
is being added to an existing 3rd party environment, as an added bonus, not
available during the initial planning and setup of the cluster.

The way I understand Ambari's stack inheritance is that a scion stack will
be a brand new entity, e.g. I won't be able to cherry-pick services from it
and add them to the already installed parent stack's cluster, right?

So far from I see it doesn't seem possible without introducing a brand-new
version of a stack e.g. 'stack inheritance'. Which, unfortunately, won't work
as per my explanation of the use above case. I guess another way to look at it
is this: would it be possible to add a component (or a service) that will
override an existing component or a service, but without a need to reinstall
the rest of the stack?

Thanks in advance for any info/ideas.
  Cos