ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Nagios Alert & Ambari 2.0
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2014 00:59:27 GMT
Hi Newton,

The only option for Nagios with Ambari 2.0.0 is to have Nagios running outside of the managed
cluster, pulling Ambari alert data into it. There is a Jira open for writing a script for
Nagios that will allow it to query the alert REST endpoint. This will be the only option for
Nagios; the alerts will still be managed by Ambari.  Essentially, Nagios just becomes another
way to surface the current alert state.

On Oct 31, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Newton Alex <nalex@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Thanks Jonathan.
>
> I've created a story for updating the BT stack to use the new alerting system:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-8084
> We will target it for the 2.0 release.
>
> BTW, do we have any instructions on how to continue using Nagios as an alerting system
for 2.0? I'm pretty sure some users and customers will want to wait and see before switching
onto the new alerting mechanism.

> Thanks,
> Newton
>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Great question!
>
> Yes, the upgrade will remove the Nagios service from Ambari, leaving a dangling Nagios
instance that needs to be manually decommissioned from running Ambari alerts. My suggestion
would be to have the Ambari 2.0.0 upgrade documentation outline what needs to be removed from
Nagios. This will most likely be editing/removing the hadoop-services.cfg and hadoop-commands.cfg
files.

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Nate Cole <ncole@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 for the proposal.
> >
> > What will be the process for turning off all the hadoop-centric alerts from the
running Nagios instance?  That we remove the service from Ambari still leaves a "dangling
service."

> > Thanks,
> > Nate
> >

> > On Oct 29, 2014, at 2:47 PM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Committers & Contributors,
> >>
> >> With Ambari 2.0, a new alerts framework has been implemented with the intent
to replace Nagios. If you would like to learn more about this feature, the design documents
can be found in the Jira epic at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-6354.

> >> The work has been completed to move the HDP 2.x stack over from Nagios to the
internal alerts framework. However, HDP 1.x and Bigtop have not yet been migrated. I would
like to propose that we move all stacks off of Nagios so that we can remove that dependency
from Ambari completely.

> >> This also means that upon upgrading from a prior Nagios-enabled release of Ambari,
Nagios will be removed as a dependent service. It will no longer be a part of the managed
cluster.

> >> This will allow us to also remove any Nagios-specific areas of the codebase
that would otherwise need to remain for legacy purposes. It would also relieve the requirement
on clients to have intimate knowledge of which stack/version can be Nagios-enabled.
> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
> >> privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately
> >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> > NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
> > of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> > received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE