ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Judes Sarmiento <jsarmie...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Apache Builds & JDK
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:17:23 GMT
Given that 1.7 is close to release, I am ok with making builds.a.o use JDK
1.6, however, we really need to move to JDK 1.7 as soon as possible (maybe
for Ambari 2.0) since Oracle Java SE 1.6 hasn't been receiving any public
updates since Feb 2013 and even 1.7 will stop getting any public updates by
April 2015.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM, jun aoki <jaoki@apache.org> wrote:

> Jonathan, yes and your suggestion makes sense.
> Short term : we make sure Ambari can be built and work on JDK1.6
> Long Term : We figure out a target minimum JDK version.
>
> Dealing with builds.a.o is a bit painful because
> 1. We should set a slave label (a set of slaves) to our jenkins jobs so
> that our build executions are distributed.
> 2. But slaves in a label do not necessary have the same conf (different JDK
> path, etc)
> 3. You don't have a SSH access to any slaves.
>
> I'm very close to show the docker POC that has python 2.6. and JDK 1.6, and
> will show it for your review.
>

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Jun,
> >
> > I think we're in agreement that whatever the Ambari community decides
> about
> > minimum supported runtimes is what should go on our continuous
> integration
> > builds. But the actual decision to change what we support is a larger
> > discussion that we need to have.
> >
> > In the short term I still think that the Jenkins builders need to reflect
> > the current minimum, which is JDK 6. I don't have permissions to edit
> jobs
> > on builds.apache.org; if someone who does could try editing the job and
> > changing the runtime then we can see if any issues pop up.
> >
> > This Xcellent email sent from my Moto X; typos intentional.
> > On Oct 18, 2014 12:57 AM, "jun aoki" <jaoki@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Jonathan,
> > >
> > > I have also been hearing JDK 7 more these days.(or less about JDK6?)
> > > For example Open JDK 7 is default on those OSs.
> > >
> > > Centos 7
> > >

> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-b02657cf2e223edb2d7946cbc45086d42c2bb41b
> > >
> > > Ubuntu 14.04 (this is LTS)
> > > http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/devel/default-jdk
> > >
> > > Maybe I'm looking into OSs that the Ambari community is not keen on.
> > > Then what are the OS versions we are targeting?
> > > I will ask my PM and share the answer with you guys.
> > >
> > > Once we have a JDK version we like, then we can put the version into
> our
> > > Docker solution and are good to go (of course, This will be a whole new
> > > thing and have you all review my POC and we will start form there)
> > >

> > > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Jonathan Hurley <
> [...]
JDK
> 1.6
> > > and

JDK 1.6,