ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Sposetti <j...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Apache Builds & JDK
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:23:05 GMT
Current Ambari JDK support:
- Oracle JDK 1.6
- Oracle JDK 1.7
- OpenJDK 7

I propose the following:
- With Ambari 1.7.0, we mark Oracle JDK 1.6 as "deprecated" (i.e. still
supported but this serves as a heads-up that 1.6 will be going away at some
point and users should move to 1.7)
- With Ambari 2.0, move to Oracle JDK 1.7 as default for testing
- Review complete removal of Oracle JDK 1.6 support during a Ambari 2.x
release

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Judes Sarmiento <jsarmiento@pivotal.io>
wrote:

> Given that 1.7 is close to release, I am ok with making builds.a.o use JDK
> 1.6, however, we really need to move to JDK 1.7 as soon as possible (maybe
> for Ambari 2.0) since Oracle Java SE 1.6 hasn't been receiving any public
> updates since Feb 2013 and even 1.7 will stop getting any public updates by
> April 2015.
>

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM, jun aoki <jaoki@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Jonathan, yes and your suggestion makes sense.
> > Short term : we make sure Ambari can be built and work on JDK1.6
> > Long Term : We figure out a target minimum JDK version.
> >
> > Dealing with builds.a.o is a bit painful because
> > 1. We should set a slave label (a set of slaves) to our jenkins jobs so
> > that our build executions are distributed.
> > 2. But slaves in a label do not necessary have the same conf (different
> JDK
> > path, etc)
> > 3. You don't have a SSH access to any slaves.
> >
> > I'm very close to show the docker POC that has python 2.6. and JDK 1.6,
> and
> > will show it for your review.
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Jonathan Hurley <
> jhurley@hortonworks.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Jun,
> > >
> > > I think we're in agreement that whatever the Ambari community decides
> > about
> > > minimum supported runtimes is what should go on our continuous
> > integration
> > > builds. But the actual decision to change what we support is a larger
> > > discussion that we need to have.
> > >
> > > In the short term I still think that the Jenkins builders need to
> reflect
> > > the current minimum, which is JDK 6. I don't have permissions to edit
> > jobs
> > > on builds.apache.org; if someone who does could try editing the job
> and
> > > changing the runtime then we can see if any issues pop up.
> > >
> > > This Xcellent email sent from my Moto X; typos intentional.

> [...]
I use JDK
> > 1.6

JDK 1.6,
> > we