ambari-dev mailing list archives

From jun aoki <ja...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Builds & JDK
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2014 15:15:45 GMT
Jonathan, yes and your suggestion makes sense.
Short term : we make sure Ambari can be built and work on JDK1.6
Long Term : We figure out a target minimum JDK version.

Dealing with builds.a.o is a bit painful because
1. We should set a slave label (a set of slaves) to our jenkins jobs so
that our build executions are distributed.
2. But slaves in a label do not necessary have the same conf (different JDK
path, etc)
3. You don't have a SSH access to any slaves.

I'm very close to show the docker POC that has python 2.6. and JDK 1.6, and
will show it for your review.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> Jun,
>
> I think we're in agreement that whatever the Ambari community decides about
> minimum supported runtimes is what should go on our continuous integration
> builds. But the actual decision to change what we support is a larger
> discussion that we need to have.
>
> In the short term I still think that the Jenkins builders need to reflect
> the current minimum, which is JDK 6. I don't have permissions to edit jobs
> on builds.apache.org; if someone who does could try editing the job and
> changing the runtime then we can see if any issues pop up.
>
> This Xcellent email sent from my Moto X; typos intentional.
> On Oct 18, 2014 12:57 AM, "jun aoki" <jaoki@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Jonathan,
> >
> > I have also been hearing JDK 7 more these days.(or less about JDK6?)
> > For example Open JDK 7 is default on those OSs.
> >
> > Centos 7
> >

> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-b02657cf2e223edb2d7946cbc45086d42c2bb41b
> >
> > Ubuntu 14.04 (this is LTS)
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/devel/default-jdk
> >
> > Maybe I'm looking into OSs that the Ambari community is not keen on.
> > Then what are the OS versions we are targeting?
> > I will ask my PM and share the answer with you guys.
> >
> > Once we have a JDK version we like, then we can put the version into our
> > Docker solution and are good to go (of course, This will be a whole new
> > thing and have you all review my POC and we will start form there)
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Jonathan Hurley <
> jhurley@hortonworks.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jun,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply and discussion about this issue.
> > >
> > > I disagree about the JDK version remaining at JDK 7. Although it might
> be
> > > true that JDK 8 is the latest version with JDK 9 on the horizon, many
> of
> > > the commodity machines that run Ambari are probably better equipped to
> > run
> > > JDK 6. As long as we say Ambari supports JDK 6, I think the continuous
> > > integration environment must reflect JDK 6 compatibility. With JDK 7 as
> > the
> > > build runtime, we cannot possibly enforce that compatibility.
> > >
> > > As far as the environment on b.a.o, some of the other jobs that I
> looked
> > > at are built using JDK 1.6.0_20. I think it would probably be simple
> > enough
> > > for Ambari to be built with the same job parameters. I don’t have any
> > > problem with Ambari being installed on a machine with JDK7+, but for
> > > continuous integration builds and tests, it seems like the least common
> > > denominator (python 2.6 and JDK6) are the right choices.
> > >
> > > With all of that said, docker integration with Jenkins seems like an
> > > interesting idea and I would look forward to seeing a discussion of the
> > > benefits it would give the development community.

> [...]
If the
> > notified
> have

> > > entity