ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Nagios Alert & Ambari 2.0
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:01:24 GMT
Great question!

Yes, the upgrade will remove the Nagios service from Ambari, leaving a dangling Nagios instance
that needs to be manually decommissioned from running Ambari alerts. My suggestion would be
to have the Ambari 2.0.0 upgrade documentation outline what needs to be removed from Nagios.
This will most likely be editing/removing the hadoop-services.cfg and hadoop-commands.cfg
files.

On Oct 29, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Nate Cole <ncole@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> +1 for the proposal.
>
> What will be the process for turning off all the hadoop-centric alerts from the running
Nagios instance?  That we remove the service from Ambari still leaves a "dangling service."

> Thanks,
> Nate
>

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 2:47 PM, Jonathan Hurley <jhurley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Committers & Contributors,
>>
>> With Ambari 2.0, a new alerts framework has been implemented with the intent to replace
Nagios. If you would like to learn more about this feature, the design documents can be found
in the Jira epic at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-6354.

>> The work has been completed to move the HDP 2.x stack over from Nagios to the internal
alerts framework. However, HDP 1.x and Bigtop have not yet been migrated. I would like to
propose that we move all stacks off of Nagios so that we can remove that dependency from Ambari
completely.

>> This also means that upon upgrading from a prior Nagios-enabled release of Ambari,
Nagios will be removed as a dependent service. It will no longer be a part of the managed
cluster.

>> This will allow us to also remove any Nagios-specific areas of the codebase that
would otherwise need to remain for legacy purposes. It would also relieve the requirement
on clients to have intimate knowledge of which stack/version can be Nagios-enabled.
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE