ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Apache Builds & JDK
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2014 02:52:41 GMT
Hi Jun,

Thanks for the reply and discussion about this issue.

I disagree about the JDK version remaining at JDK 7. Although it might be true that JDK 8
is the latest version with JDK 9 on the horizon, many of the commodity machines that run Ambari
are probably better equipped to run JDK 6. As long as we say Ambari supports JDK 6, I think
the continuous integration environment must reflect JDK 6 compatibility. With JDK 7 as the
build runtime, we cannot possibly enforce that compatibility.

As far as the environment on b.a.o, some of the other jobs that I looked at are built using
JDK 1.6.0_20. I think it would probably be simple enough for Ambari to be built with the same
job parameters. I don’t have any problem with Ambari being installed on a machine with JDK7+,
but for continuous integration builds and tests, it seems like the least common denominator
(python 2.6 and JDK6) are the right choices.

With all of that said, docker integration with Jenkins seems like an interesting idea and
I would look forward to seeing a discussion of the benefits it would give the development
community.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE