ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Nate Cole <nc...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Issues with "os_family.json" file while debugging with Ambari trunk
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:45:58 GMT
You need to specify where to find os_family.json by setting the following property in your
ambari.properties file:

shared.resources.dir=$SRC_HOME/ambari-common/src/main/python/ambari_commons/resources

Thanks

On Oct 26, 2014, at 3:00 PM, Robert Nettleton <rnettleton@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’ve run into a problem with Ambari startup when debugging my patches, and was wondering
if anyone else has seen this.

> Typically, since the Ambari RPM builds take so long, I usually use maven to build the
ambari-server jar (since my work has resided only in that jar so far), setup Ambari trunk
in a Centos VM, and then copied over my ambari-server.jar changes before debugging.  This
tends to be the fastest way to test/debug, and I’ve never run into an issue with this approach
before.

> Since yesterday, this approach no longer appears to work.  If I install Ambari from the
trunk yum repository, and then update the ambari-server.jar, the ambari-server startup fails,
with the error that I’ve included below.

> It looks like there is some kind of new check on an “os_family.json” file, and this
keeps the Ambari server from starting up.

> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> If so, is there a workaround for this problem?  Other than building the ambari jars with
maven, are there other build steps I can run manually to workaround this issue?

> I would imagine that the RPM builds handle this somehow, but this is generally not practical
for most development purposes.

> I’d appreciate any pointers anyone has to work around this.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> Here’s the error I’m seeing at startup:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load OS family definition
from %s file
> 	at org.apache.ambari.server.state.stack.OsFamily.init(OsFamily.java:80)
> 	at org.apache.ambari.server.state.stack.OsFamily.<init>(OsFamily.java:57)
> 	at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.ControllerModule.<init>(ControllerModule.java:137)
> 	at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:649)
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE