ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Yusaku Sako <yus...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: are there any public discussions about the direction of Ambari?
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:43:12 GMT
Greg,

I completely agree with you.
The whole roadmap/design process needs to be much more transparent and
open so that those involved in the project are on the same page.
We have had designs posted on JIRAs for review/feedback/consensus, but
unfortunately that seems to be the exception rather than the rule;
this must be changed.  As Erin mentioned, there's a wiki for the
Product Roadmap, but this is a bit too high level with no easy way to
correlate which JIRAs correspond to which features.
I will bring this up with the Ambari PMC to discuss ways to
significantly improve this.

Regarding the "roles" removal, this is being replaced by a much more
flexible mechanism with permissions and privileges.
Previously, there were very coarse-grained roles called "admin" and
"user", with "admin" users having the right to read/write via the API
(i.e., POST/PUT/DELETE/GET), versus "user" users who can only make
read-only API calls (i.e., GET).
We had to get more granular than that, because users (and groups)
exist independent of any cluster now that Ambari Views are being
introduced.
The new mechanism allows granting permissions (that are customizable)
to users (and groups) on clusters and Ambari Views (and other
resources that may be introduced in the future).
When upgrading to the upcoming Ambari 1.7.0, the upgrade script will
automatically perform this conversion, so to the end user, this all
happens behind the scenes so that existing admins and users retain the
same access rights to the cluster.

I hope this clears things up, and sorry about the surprise.

Yusaku

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Erin Boyd <eboyd@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> I think this would be very helpful to all those whom are involved in the Ambari project.
> There is a current roadmap published on the wiki that I would found useful:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30755705
>
> But as far as roles, I haven't found anything on the wiki.
> Erin

that being replaced with something else to handle access control?).  It seems like a lot of
the devs are on the same page about the direction of the project, yet I see no evidence of
any public discussion about it.  There's nothing on the mailing lists, the IRC channel is
always quiet.  Is all of this just decided at internal meetings at Hortonworks or is there
some other place I could be checking?  Any chance of opening up the process so us outsiders
can see what's coming before it just lands on us?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE