ambari-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <o...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Branch 0.0 or Trunk
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:03:13 GMT
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Ahmed Fathalla <afathalla@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I do agree that trunk's design may be simpler, Eric raised some valid
> concerns about controller saturation, persistence of data  and single
> points of failure.

The MapReduce JobTracker, which has a similar architecture to trunk, can
handle 4,500 machines and 30,000 concurrent tasks and the MapReduce
heartbeats are much more complicated than Ambari's. Both branches store
their data in Zookeeper, thus they don't have a single point of data loss
and can be extended to have automatic failover.

-- Owen