allura-users mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: How to serve allura on a VPS
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:57:57 GMT
On 11/08/2014 12:07 PM, Daniele Niero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll start saying I'm not an expert in web technology, so be patience if
> I ask some very dumb questions.
>
> I have open an account with Digital Ocean mainly to try to install and
> run Allura.
> The droplet or VM on DigitalOcean runs Ubuntu with the classic LAMP
> installed and configured.
> I have managed to install Allura following the step by step installation
> guide and I think it went fine.
>
> But what now, how can I see my Allura installation from a browser?
> I cannot find any resource about it. Maybe and hopefully I'm just
> missing something very basic.
>
> Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
>    Dan

Hi Dan,

By default when you run the "paster serve" command that will run on port
8080.  You can try going to http://your-droplet:8080/ and hopefully that
will work.

You can also edit the Allura/development.ini file and change "port =
8080" to "port = 80" and run the paster serve command.  Port 80 is the
default so you can just go to your droplet site directly then.

There are many other ways to run a python app, instead of the "paster
serve" command which is designed mostly for development.  If you run
Allura long-term you will want to set it up with a more robust system.
See http://turbogears.org/2.1/docs/main/Deployment/index.html for some
guides (don't need to worry about all those details like database and
some config options, they key part of the guide is the webserver and
WSGI sections).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal