allura-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Fwd: Facebook BSD+patents license and Apache products
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:02:41 GMT
The React library is part of this Facebook licensing issue, and we use React for
the admin/edit mode in the project menu, phone verification dialog, and
subscribing to individual pages.

So we'll have to change all that for any release after Aug 31.  I have heard
some mentions of "preact" as a compatible library with standard acceptable
licensing.  I don't know anything about it though.

There's also https://github.com/facebook/react/issues/10191 asking them to
change the React licensing.  As of right now, the latest in the comments is that
the facebook/react people are discussing internally.  That'd be nice, so we
don't have to make any changes.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Facebook BSD+patents license and Apache products
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:56:30 -0700
From: Chris Mattmann <mattmann@apache.org>
To: legal-discuss@apache.org

Hi,

As some of you may know, recently the Facebook BSD+patents license has been
moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).
Please see LEGAL-303 [1] for a discussion of this. The license is also referred
to as the ROCKSDB license, even though Facebook BSD+patents is its more industry
standard name.

This has impacted some projects, to date based on LEGAL-303
and the detective work of Todd Lipcon:

Samza, Flink, Marmotta, Kafka and Bahir

(perhaps more)

Please take notice of the following policy:

o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
  used Facebook BSD+patents licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
  them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
  aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.

o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
  you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
  August 31, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
  of these Facebook BSD+patents licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
  either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
  There will be NO exceptions.

o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
  DISALLOWAL of usage.

Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
notifies the end-user that a Facebook BSD+patents licensed artifact exists. They
may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.

If there are any questions, please ask on the legal-discuss@a.o
list.

Thanks.

Cheers,