allura-dev mailing list archives

From Rohan Verma <he...@rohanverma.net>
Subject Re: Updating allura.apache.org website with news
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 20:53:41 GMT
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net> wrote:

> On 8/9/16 11:59 AM, Rohan Verma wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I'm working on the blog for the changes I made for GSoC atm. I'll share
> the
> > draft with you ASAP. Could we use the same for news post as well?
> >

> Sure, I think that'd be fine.  Any sort of news to show visitors to
> website what
> we've been doing with the project.

I have posted here:
https://rhnvrm.github.io/2016-08-09-apache-allura-gsoc-16-summary/

> > Also, had installed Allura on the RaspberryPi using the makefile I had
> made
> > a long time ago yesterday. Now will try and pitch it to my University.
> >
> > Yes, we should start with discussing the next release. Also, what would
> be
> > the probable timeline for the release?
>
> Pretty much whenever we want :)
> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/ASF%20Release%20Guidelines/
> has
> some notes about it, the script mentioned at the beginning does most of
> the work.

Do we isolate some issues to work on is the current as-is state enough to
release? I have seen that early on you have used sprints, would we be using
something like that for releasing?

BTW, if we are releasing in the as-is state then regarding my pending MRs,
I believe that #128 can be worked upon in the next release as I am not sure
if it is useful or feasible in it's current form but I think splitting #129
into two MRs and merging the commit [5c9f6e]
<https://forge-allura.apache.org/u/rhnvrm/allura/ci/5c9f6e72f27811d9e120abd19f17bdea2a496820/>
that
adds metalink into emails can be added to this release and the better
subjects part can be worked upon further. What's your opinion about this?

> > BTW, Regarding the release, I was reading the meeting notes at
> > https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Allura.html and read somewhere
> that
> > we plan to support Apache Project hosting. Maybe we could provide a
> > neighborhood for Apache projects on forge-allura this time with the
> > release. What do you think?
>
> We did set up a Labs neighborhood for the "Apache Labs" project, but they
> never
> did anything with it.  (They aren't very active any more anyway)
>
> If there was a project interested in it, we could talk with them and get
> it set
> up I think.  But we'd need a project that wanted to use Allura :D  Most
> projects
> already have tickets set up in JIRA or Bugzilla, and have their own wikis
> if
> they want one, etc.  So for most projects it wouldn't be worth moving
> their stuff.
>
> Creating more importers, like pulling tickets from JIRA could help a
> project if
> they were interested.

Yes, I agree that before asking projects that are already using JIRA we
should have an importer ready. I think I can work upon this in late August
and early September.

> Also reaching out to projects in the Apache Incubator as they are getting
> started is an option.  They'll want to move their content into an Apache
> hosted
> site anyway.

So, I was only able to find two such projects from my limited search.
1. https://incubator.apache.org/projects/senssoft.html
2. https://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafficcontrol.html

They don't seem to have much setup as of now.

I can try to reach out to their committers with your help if you think this
is a good idea. :)

--
Sincerely
Rohan Verma