allura-dev mailing list archives

From Cory Johns <cjo...@slashdotmedia.com>
Subject Feasibility of mongo-less git browsing
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 14:54:25 GMT
I continue to get more and more frustrated with the need for a full
indexing of SCM repos in Allura and all of the complexity and performance
issues that entails.  To start to work on removing some of the dependency
on the indexing, I created a script to test the timing of generating the
tree browsing data on-demand, straight from GitPython:
https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/pastebin/518bb63d7929e51a2548196a/

Even on very large repos (linux), I'm seeing completion times almost always
under 2 seconds.  It could use some more testing on different repos, but as
it stands, it seems like we could drop this in in place of our current git
tree browsing with comparable, if not better, performance.

Looking for comments, concerns, or other feedback.

- Cory