allura-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Invernizzi <stefano.invernizz...@gmail.com>
Subject Allura new features
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:51:19 GMT
Dear all,

We would like to extend Allura by offering functions to increase awareness
of people and organizations working within the forge.

In a previous message on this mailing list we briefly described the goal of
our work and got positive feedback.
Now we would like to detail our proposal to understand if it can become
part of the main distribution of Allura.

As a first step, we would like to allow users to provide more details about
themselves, so that everybody can have a better knowledge on someone else's
skills and, as a consequence, on their potential contribution on a certain
project. To this end we have already developed a prof-of-concept that you
can find here:
http://sourceforge.net/u/stefanoinve/allura/ci/83168501e8d8711e875335a2843f005b509edf25/tree/,
for which we have submitted a merge request a few days ago.

In our prototype the page which allows users to set their preferences
includes more details that are then stores as part of the users' personal
data. These data are shown to others in the profile included in the project
associated to a user.
More in detail, the data include

* Gender
* Birth date
* Country of residence
* City of residence
* Timezone
* List of social networks (for the moment, Facebook, Linkedin, Google+ and
Twitter are listed as predefined and fixed possible choices)
* List of personal websites (or pages about the user)
* List of telephone numbers
* Skype account
* A list of time slots in which the user is available, namely when he/she
is usually working on the forge and can easily reply to inquiries. These
time slots are required to be expressed according to the timezone of the
user who is visualizing the information.
* A list of periods during which the user will be inactive (for example,
for holidays, or other relevant commitments).

Of course, all these data are completely optional, and everybody can freely
decide not to provide any additional detail, for obvious privacy reasons.
Additionally, users can insert their skills. This can be done through a
form, linked to the one used to insert personal data. Skills are shown
together with the remaining personal data in the profile of the user,
included in his or her personal project. Particularly, each user can insert
a list of skills, selecting them from a predefined list of categories. They
can also add a level of proficiency on each skill (three levels are
allowed: low, medium, high) and an optional description (for example, to
describe what experience he/she had with a certain skill).
At the moment, users are not allowed to create new kinds of skills, they
can only use the existing ones. However, we are wondering if this is a good
choice or not: probably, a user should be allowed to do so, because new
technologies are introduced everyday, therefore a predefined list could be
a problem. We will immediately start working on this issue. We will also
consider existing classifications for skills like the one offered by Dice.
As we discussed in our first message, we would also like to introduce the
concept of organization, so that each user will be allowed to make explicit
his/her enrollment in an organization, and we are going to implement a tool
to retrieve statistics about the contibution of a user to all the projects
hosted on the forge. We will provide more details on this very soon, but
first of all we would like to get a feedback on the first part of our work
and on the possibility of merging its evolution in the main Allura
repository.

Thank you,
Stefano Invernizzi and Simone Gatti