airflow-users mailing list archives

From Johnny Bravo <flappy.fore...@gmail.com>
Subject Dynamic word in principles is misleading
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2020 07:30:32 GMT
Hi!

I'm a user of your great tool. I have already created few DAGs and
some of them are even quite complex (in terms of carefully crafted
custom operators as well as in terms of size and complexity of
dependencies between tasks). Before getting in that place I've gone a
long way for understanding the semantics used by Airflow.

Recently I have entered again to the Airflow Apache page and to my
surprise found that actually the part on which I spent most of time
during solution development is somehow wrongly described on the
Airflow page. It is all about the word "dynamic" on your principles
list.

Airflow DAGs are not dynamic. To shorten discussion, it should be
called "Programmable", which means that we can craft DAG with the use
of algorithms or external knowledge, but final shape cannot change
during execution as the DAG must be fully known before running so
actually these are static.

Lets now find out meaning of two words:

dynamic - "(of a process or system) characterized by constant change,
activity, or progress." (afer google translator) and "In general,
dynamic means energetic, capable of action and/or change, or forceful,
while static means stationary or fixed. In computer terminology,
dynamic usually means capable of action and/or change, while static
means fixed." (after techtarget.com).

programmable - (of a computer or other machine) able to be provided
with coded instructions for the automatic performance of a task (after
google translator) and here Computer_programming @ wikipedia.org

So for the sake of stopping giving newbies' heads headaches, stop
using the word "dynamic" in the current context.

Change my mind ;-)

Cheers,
JB.