airflow-users mailing list archives

From Ash Berlin-Taylor <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] AIP-16: CLI: Use nested commands instead of flags
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2019 07:44:18 GMT
And we've just merged this, so the UI will be a little more structured from Airflow 2.0 on.
Reminder of the type of changes

- `airflow list_dags` -> `airflow dags list`
- `airflow pools -l` -> `airflow pools list`
- `airflow pools -a` -> `airflow pools add`
- `airflow initdb` -> `airflow db init`

And an example "group" help message:

  usage: airflow db [-h] {init,reset,upgrade} ...

  positional arguments:
    {init,reset,upgrade}
      init                Initialize the metadata database
      reset               Burn down and rebuild the metadata database
      upgrade             Upgrade the metadata database to latest version

  optional arguments:
    -h, --help            show this help message and exit

Thanks,
Ash

> On 19 Jun 2019, at 11:36, Ash Berlin-Taylor <ash@apache.org> wrote:
>
> This vote passed and I'll mark this AIP as accepted.
>
> +1 votes: 19 (9 binding and 10 non-binding votes
> -1 votes: 0.
>
> William: it seems there is no consensus among tools or the internet at large wether or
use singular or plural forms, so we will leave it as implemented unless you or anyone else
wants to make a strong case for it in the next few days.

> -ash
>
>> On 11 Jun 2019, at 12:15, Ash Berlin-Taylor <ash@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Airflowers,
>>
>> This email calls for a vote to introduce restructure the CLI to use nested commands
instead of flags. The vote will last for at least 1 week (June 18th 12:00 BST), and at least
three +1 (binding) votes have been cast.

>> The original discussion  <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/94c97ed621706a2e9130a3550b879a5838c23209f2d6d40f8bb49cd8@%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
was positive and the proposed implementation is at https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/4821.
Since this is a breaking change it will be for Airflow 2.0.0 only.

>> An example of the proposed changes to the cli:
>>
>> - `airflow list_dags` -> `airflow dags list`
>> - `airflow pools -l` -> `airflow pools list`
>> - `airflow pools -a` -> `airflow pools add`
>> - `airflow initdb` -> `airflow db init`
>>
>> And an example "group" help message:
>>
>>   usage: airflow db [-h] {init,reset,upgrade} ...
>>
>>   positional arguments:
>>     {init,reset,upgrade}
>>       init                Initialize the metadata database
>>       reset               Burn down and rebuild the metadata database
>>       upgrade             Upgrade the metadata database to latest version
>>
>>   optional arguments:
>>     -h, --help            show this help message and exit
>>
>> This is my (binding) +1 vote.
>>
>> A reminder about binding/non-binding votes: PMC members and Committer's votes are
binding for AIP; other members of the community are encouraged to vote with a "(non-binding)".