airflow-dev mailing list archives

From James Meickle <jmeic...@quantopian.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Proposed roadmap for Airflow 2.0
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:40:59 GMT
For what I'm looking for out of a 2.0, as an operator/cluster admin
(separate from what I'd like to see as a DAG developer), I'd love to see:

- Combine breaking changes into 2.0, and do as few as possible after
- A semver policy for 2.0 and onwards. (For instance we got bit hard by a
breaking API change in the k8s operator)
- Regularly scheduled releases (like: "minor every other month, major every
other year")
- A security backport policy
- Pinned deps for releases
- A way to get integration/cloud vendor operator updates out-of-tree,
without having to pull in unrelated Airflow updates

For a lot of people, Airflow is an off-the-shelf app rather than a library,
but we don't actually ship or support it anything like most comparable
off-the-shelf apps. It makes it much harder to support than other
applications, unless you're a Python developer yourself.