airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Potiuk <Jarek.Pot...@polidea.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Airflow website requirements
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2019 06:24:15 GMT
I understand the inclusivity need, and that's perfectly fine. However I am
afraid community will not have a process (and people) to keep the
documentation up-to-date - it will almost immediately become obsolete and
useless - we have like 10 commits coming in every day, most of them
including some documentation changes, and it's simply not feasible to keep
technical documentation updated and we have no-one to do it.

However maybe another approach is be better. We could actually automate a
process of generating translation using Google AI translation capabilities
and GCP's Machine-Learning based Translation API
<https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/> and use the generated
documentation in English as source for even more inclusive
<https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/languages> set of multi-language
translations of Airflow documentation. Of course it will not be perfect
from linguistic point of view, but at least it will be accurate from the
content point of view and we can automatically translate it to multiple
languages, add a disclaimer: "This has been automatically translated by
Google Translation API. For official documentation please refer to the
(original) English version" or similar.

We just need some (very little - rather in 100s than 1000s of dollars
credits from google to run translation regularly over the API with this
pricing: https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing

We could still keep the main "slow changing" documentation translated by
Human Translators into multiple languages of course and it would be great
to have it linguistically correct.

I think that might be much more reasonable and totally feasible approach.

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>