airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Potiuk <Jarek.Pot...@polidea.com>
Subject Re: Travis builds in a queue for hours
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 13:04:36 GMT
Agree that we should be thoughtful about others as well: In the latest push
(few minutes ago) of the upcoming official CI image i implemented the
change we discussed in the Github where we limit the number of combinations
we test:

You can see it yourself:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/airflow/builds/551305240

Those are the combinations I propose:

 Python: 3.6
 BACKEND=mysql ENV=docker

 Python: 3.6
 BACKEND=postgres ENV=docker

 Python: 3.5
 BACKEND=sqlite ENV=docker

 Python: 3.6
 BACKEND=postgres ENV=kubernetes KUBERNETES_VERSION=v1.13.0

J,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM Driesprong, Fokko <fokko@driesprong.frl>
wrote:

> We got this message last year:
>
> > Hello, Airflow PPMC.
> > While going through the usage statistics for our Travis CI service, I
> > have noticed that the Airflow project is using an abnormally large
> > amount of resources, 2600 hours per month or the equivalent of having
> > almost 4 machines building airflow non-stop 24/7. As this is not free,
> > but rather costing us money, I'm contacting you with the intention of
> > figuring out ways to reduce the use of Travis for the project.
>
> > We would greatly prefer that the project itself comes up with a solution
> > to lower the usage of Travis, as we'd hate to simply turn it off for
> > you, but the usage is at a rather severe level, totaling more than 21%
> > of the total build time of all projects using Travis, so something
> > actionable should be decided upon and (preferably) completed by the end
> > of May that will reduce the consumption of Travis resources.
>
> > Alternately, if you are unable to lower the pressure on Travis, the
> > podling and/or IPMC may ask the board of directors for a separate budget
> > for additional build nodes to cope with the added load - I'll leave this
> > for the podling and IPMC to decide on.
>
> > Please let us know when you have decided on a plan to remedy this
> situation.
>
> > With regards,
> > Daniel on behalf of ASF Infrastructure.
>
> I think more and more projects are still migrating to the ASF Travis, so I
> think natural that there is more load. However, this still leaves the
> question if we have to run the full matrix.
>
> Cheers, Fokko
>

> Op do 27 jun. 2019 om 10:56 schreef Jarek Potiuk <Jarek.Potiuk@polidea.com
> >:
>
> > I think we should really involve infra to increase the slot number or
> maybe
> > even somehow allocate slots per project.
> > The problem is that we cannot control what other apache projects are
> doing,
> > so even if we decrease our runtime, it's the other projects that might
> hold
> > us in the queue :(
> >
> > J.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:19 AM Driesprong, Fokko <fokko@driesprong.frl
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed this at other Apache projects as well, sometimes it takes
> up
> > > to 7-8 hours. The only thing we can do, is reduce the runtime of the
> jobs
> > > so we take less slots :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers, Fokko
> > >
> > > Op wo 26 jun. 2019 om 21:59 schreef Jarek Potiuk <
> > Jarek.Potiuk@polidea.com

> > INFRA
> concurrency
> > ?