airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Deng Xiaodong <xd.den...@gmail.com>
Subject Field "owner" in DAG Model
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:27:40 GMT
Hi folks,

In DAG Model, we have "owner" field. In earlier Flask-Admin based UI (which
is already removed in master branch), it was used by "filter_by_user"
config item in [webserver] section to help control access. But now seems
it's not used anywhere already (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would like to understand from the community: shall we remove this field?
Or there can be other usage on this field?

One use case I have in mind is to use "owner" to enhance DAG-level access
control. Currently the DAG-level access control is implemented by creating
a new permission for each DAG, which may be "tedious" to manage if there
are many DAGs. We may use "owner" to group DAGs, so we can create new
permission for each "owner" rather than creating new permission for each
single DAG.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Best regards,

XD