airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Ash Berlin-Taylor <...@apache.org>
Subject [RESULT] AIP-16: CLI: Use nested commands instead of flags
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2019 10:36:08 GMT
This vote passed and I'll mark this AIP as accepted.

+1 votes: 19 (9 binding and 10 non-binding votes
-1 votes: 0.

William: it seems there is no consensus among tools or the internet at large wether or use
singular or plural forms, so we will leave it as implemented unless you or anyone else wants
to make a strong case for it in the next few days.

-ash

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 12:15, Ash Berlin-Taylor <ash@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Airflowers,
>
> This email calls for a vote to introduce restructure the CLI to use nested commands instead
of flags. The vote will last for at least 1 week (June 18th 12:00 BST), and at least three
+1 (binding) votes have been cast.

> The original discussion  <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/94c97ed621706a2e9130a3550b879a5838c23209f2d6d40f8bb49cd8@%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
was positive and the proposed implementation is at https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/4821.
Since this is a breaking change it will be for Airflow 2.0.0 only.

> An example of the proposed changes to the cli:
>
> - `airflow list_dags` -> `airflow dags list`
> - `airflow pools -l` -> `airflow pools list`
> - `airflow pools -a` -> `airflow pools add`
> - `airflow initdb` -> `airflow db init`
>
> And an example "group" help message:
>
>    usage: airflow db [-h] {init,reset,upgrade} ...
>
>    positional arguments:
>      {init,reset,upgrade}
>        init                Initialize the metadata database
>        reset               Burn down and rebuild the metadata database
>        upgrade             Upgrade the metadata database to latest version
>
>    optional arguments:
>      -h, --help            show this help message and exit
>
> This is my (binding) +1 vote.
>
> A reminder about binding/non-binding votes: PMC members and Committer's votes are binding
for AIP; other members of the community are encouraged to vote with a "(non-binding)".