airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jiajie Zhong <zhongjiajie...@hotmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Change all example_dags's start_date to specific datetime
Date Fri, 10 May 2019 07:15:44 GMT
Hi Airflowers:
    I start this thread proposal to change all example_dags's start_date to specific datetime,
including airflow/example_dag and airflow/contrib/example_dags.
I proposal that because in https://airflow.apache.org/faq.html#what-s-the-deal-with-start-date

> We recommend against using dynamic values as start_date, especially datetime.now() as
it can be quite confusing. The task is triggered once the period closes, and in theory an
@hourly DAG would never get to an hour after now as now() moves along.

we suggest to set start_date to specific datetime, but all example_dags in code base are use
dynamic values like `airflow.utils.dates.days_ago(2)` or `datetime.utcnow()`. Most of Airflow
starter will use example dag as they template to create their own dag, so I think should change
them in correct values.

But if we use a specific datetime in example dag, for example 2019-01-01, starter will use
them as template and confuse "Why my dag start run in 2019-01-01?".

So, should we change start_date?

Best wish.
-- Jiajie