airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Maynes <nathanmay...@gmail.com>
Subject Feedback Wanted for Season of Docs Proposal
Date Thu, 09 May 2019 02:57:07 GMT
Hey all,

I wanted to introduce myself. I am Nathan Maynes and would like to get
involved in an open source project. I currently work as a Data Engineer and
recently participated at an Apache RoadShow event in Washington DC. At the
event I was introduced to Airflow and became interested in helping the
project grow. I asked a few Apache project contributors and committers for
advice on getting involved. They all mentioned I should start by looking
for ways to improve documentation. Following their advice, I stumbled
upon the list of possible
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Season+of+Docs+2019>
Airflow projects for Google Season of Docs (GSoD) 2019. I would love to get
involved even if it is not via the GSoD program but don't quite know where
to begin. Please forgive my ignorance if this message is off topic or more
appropriate for another forum.

When I look at the possible project list on the project Confluence site,
two of the projects jump out at me. The system diagram project is one I
would be interested in working on. It seems much shorter than others on the
list. Is that by design? Are these project suggestions meant to be combined
to form a project of appropriate scale? The second project I find
interesting and personally relevant is around setting up a local
environment. This is something that I recently attempted and found
frustrating. I think building out the documentation on getting started
would benefit the project. As the Confluence entry points out, the
documentation seems to be available, it just needs to be organized and
polished.

I am looking for feedback on whether a solid proposal for one of these
ideas is enough. Should multiple ideas be combined into a larger project?
Would instructional videos be desirable in conjunction with one of these
projects? Again, I apologize if this is not the right forum for these kinds
of questions. I will happily take feedback and ideas via the mailing list
or on the Slack channel. Thanks everyone!

--
Nathan Maynes <http://bit.ly/115hXAt>
@nathanmaynes