airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <aizha...@google.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Component changes for Apache Airflow
Date Tue, 21 May 2019 18:35:28 GMT
Hi Fokko,

Sid gave me the admin rights yesterday, forgot to update here. Thank you.

I have edited the components themselves, but to make components the
required filed I need to ask Infra. I created this ticket [1], still
waiting for it to be resolved.

Wouldn't it be smarter that users won't tag labels/component themselves?
> Any new ticket will get "triage" tag and once the community review the
> request they will set the proper components/priority ?
>
> Users can easily tag the wrong components so it's likely that the ordered
> Jira we have now won't stay like this for long.

Asking users to add the components by themselves may add some noise to the
triage process, but it should reduce the workload on maintainers, triagers,
and others tracking specific areas of the project. Although at the moment
it's not possible to know for sure if an issue has been triaged or not, we
can move to a process that clearly marks untriaged issues as such, and
maintainers will be able to look at an issue, and add/remove any
components/labels if necessary.

At the moment there are ~400 issues without any components added. I’ll go
through them and try to give them a component; but this sort of “issue
lake” can easily become forgotten. We also can’t ensure/force maintainers
to always do triage of issues filed in this lake.

Another reason to have issues filed with a component is because there are
parties that care and track only certain components, and for them it is
hard to discover all the issues.

In other apache projects, the triage process relies on a Jira workflow that
goes "Triage Needed" -> "Open" -> "Resolved/Closed" (see possible jira
statuses [2]). This automatically marks new issues in a “Triage Needed”
status. I’d like to discuss this process after we’re done making the
changes proposed in this document.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Aizhamal