airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Ash Berlin-Taylor <...@apache.org>
Subject [2.0 spring cleaning] Deprecate adding Operators and Hooks via plugins?
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2019 07:54:31 GMT
This is something I've said a number of times (but possibly never on the list):

I think we should deprecate adding Operators and Hooks via the Airflow plugin mechanism.

I think plugins should be reserved for any mechanism that a plain-ol python module import
won't work for (which is basically anything that needs to tie deeply in to the Webserver or
Scheduler process).

To that endI think we should deprecate adding operators via plugins:

    from airflow.operators.my_plugin import MyOperator

can become

    from my_plugin import MyOperator

with no impact on functionality.

The same could be said for hooks, with one possible feature addition: Right now the list of
connection types in the Connections screen is hard-coded. Is it possible worth making that
dynamic somehow based on the Hook classes that are loaded? i.e. adding the ability for hooks
added in plguins to add items to that list?

-ash