airflow-dev mailing list archives

From David Cavaletto <da.cavale...@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal to remove json_client
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2019 02:21:50 GMT
Hello,

While trying to refactor the Connection API (both REST and CLI) I've
discovered the CLI has the ability to make REST API calls. The flow looks
like this:
[image: Apache Airflow API flow.jpg]

In a discussion with Ash in Slack, he said this architecture is so that a
user can use a local installation of Airflow (like on their laptop) to
issue CLI commands to a remote installation of Airflow. Examples would
include a cluster running Fargate, where docker exec and ssh are not
available, and so no CLI commands can be run on the installation.

I'd like to propose that we simplify this entire structure, removing the
boxes highlighted in red, like this:
[image: Apache Airflow API flow (1).jpg]

Users needing to issue REST commands to a cluster would use a REST client
(Postman, curl, etc) to issue the commands to the cluster, allowing us to
simplify this implementation of the APIs in Airflow.

Thoughts? Is there some other use case I've overlooked?

-Dave