airflow-dev mailing list archives

From airflowuser <airflowu...@protonmail.com.INVALID>
Subject It's very hard to become a committer on the project
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:29:12 GMT
Hello all,

I'm struggling finding tickets to address and while discussing it on chat others reported
they had the same problem when they began working on the project.

The problem is due to:
1. It's very hard to locate tickets on Jira. The categories are a mess, versions are not enforced.
each use can tag,label and set priority at his will. No one monitor or overwrite it
2. It's impossible for a new committer to  find issues which can be easy-fix and a "good first
issue".

My suggestions:
1. Looking at the ticket system there are usually less than 10 new tickets a day. It won't
take too much time for someone with knowledge on the project to properly tag  the ticket.

2. I think that most of you don't even check the Jira. Most of you submit PRs and 5 seconds
before opening a ticket (just because you must). There is no doubt that the Jira is a "side"
system which doesn't really perform it's job.

Take a look at this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/AIRFLOW/issues/AIRFLOW-2999
a member of the community asks for committers for input but no one replies. I doubt this is
because no one has input.. I am sure that if a PR was submitted you had comments. It's simply
because you don't see it. This is why I think the current Jira does't function properly. I
think that Github can perform a better role. All of you as committers are already there and
it's always better to work with one system rather with two. The colors and labels of the GitHub
as very easy to notice.

Either way, what ever you decide something needs to be change. Either Jira will be more informative
or move to GitHub.

Thank you all for your good work :)