airflow-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel (Daniel Lamblin) [BDP - Seoul]" <lamb...@coupang.com>
Subject conn_id breaking change; once more with feeling
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 01:19:37 GMT
The short of this email is: can we please name all the connection id named parameters to all
hooks and operators as similarly as possible. EG just `conn_id`?

So, when we started using Airflow I _had_ thought that minor versions would be compatible
for a user's DAG, assuming no use of anything marked beta or deprecated, such that v1.7.1,
1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.8.2 and 1.9.0 etc would all run dags from prior versions in that linage, each
with possible stability and feature improvements and each with possibly more operators, hooks,
executors (even) etc.

This is (now) obviously not the case, and it's the group's choice about what should and what
should not break on a release-by-release basis. I think a clear policy would be appropriate
for full Apache status, but then I may have missed where the policy is defined.  Though, if
defined as not giving stability to the user's dags for most version changes isn't in my opinion
going to grow confidence for Airflow being something you can grow with.

Not to be overly dramatic, but currently the tiny change that the `s3Hook(…)` takes `aws_conn_id='any_string'`
vs `s3_conn_id='still_any_string'` means that basically I have to maintain a 1.8.2 setup in
perpetuity, because no one (here) wants to briefly code freeze before during and after an
update so that we can update all the uses and be ready to roll back the update if something
else breaks (also some people access the not-actually-private `_a_key and _s_key` and would
need to switch to still-not-private `_get_credentials()[…]`). Instead we'll just run a second
airflow setup at 1.9.0 (in each and every staged environment) and move the 8k dags piecemeal
whe[never] people get the spare time and inclination. I mean, we might. It looks like 1.10.0
changes some config around s3 logging one more time… so maybe it's better to skip it?

I saw the couple of PRs where the project itself had to make the changes to usages of the
named field. There was momentary and passing concern that users' dags would need to do the
same. In the PRs, of the options discussed (shims, supporting the deprecated name as deprecated,
doing a hard rename), it wasn't brought up if the rename to aws_conn_id was the best name.
[Was this discussed elsewhere?]

And so I wondered why is there this virtual Hungarian notation on all the `conn_id`s?
A hook generally takes one `conn_id`, most operators take only one. In these cases couldn't
the named parameter have been `conn_id`? When an operator needs a couple conn_ids, could it
not have `src_conn_id` and `dest_conn_id` instead of locking in either s3 or aws, mysql or
maria, dataflow or beam etc? Those are hypotheticals, I believe.

Could I propose to plan to break absolutely all uses of `{named}_conn_id`s, before or by version
2.0, with an eye towards never again having to break a named parameter for the rest of 2.x's
life? There's probably more named parameters that should be fixed per major release, and if
you agree, some work should be done to identify them all, but this just happens to be the
one that seems most likely to change often, and has so recently.

Thanks,
-Daniel