airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Naik Kaxil <k.n...@reply.com>
Subject Re: Where to put docs on configuring specific kinds of connections? (Or restructuring the docs the way Django does)
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 08:30:39 GMT
Hi Tim,

My personal opinion is to write the docs on GCP connection down at GCP Integration page <https://airflow.incubator.apache.org/integration.html#gcp-google-cloud-platform>
would be an ideal fit but would like to hear others opinion as well.

+1 for creating separate How-To guides.

Regards,
Kaxil

On 21/05/2018, 21:35, "Tim Swast" <swast@google.com.INVALID> wrote:

    Hey folks,

    I'd like to write some docs on how to create a GCP connection (and leave
    room for documenting other kinds of connections as well). Currently it
    seems like there are a couple places such a thing could fit:

       - https://airflow.incubator.apache.org/configuration.html#connections
       -
       https://airflow.incubator.apache.org/integration.html#gcp-google-cloud-platform

    There's also the concepts guide, but I definitely don't think that's the
    right place for documenting a specific task like this.

    There's a principle I'm used to following with the GCP docs, that the distinct
    kinds of documentation
    <http://www.writethedocs.org/videos/eu/2017/the-four-kinds-of-documentation-and-why-you-need-to-understand-what-they-are-daniele-procida/>
    should be organized separately. The Django project does this
    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/ by splitting into

       - Tutorials
       - Topic guides (what Airflow calls Concepts)
       - Reference guides
       - How-to guides

    I'd like to propose we split some of the existing "Configuration" topics
    into separate how-to guides. What do you think?

    Meta: Should I create JIRA issues for this kind of pre-discussion or start
    here as I've done?

    *  •  **Tim Swast*
    *  •  *Software Friendliness Engineer
    *  •  *Google Cloud Developer Relations