airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Bolke de Bruin <bdbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.8.1 based on Airflow 1.8.1 RC0
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2017 07:17:16 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Apr 2017, at 03:46, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Chris Riccomini <criccomini@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>>> Version in pkg-info has an rc0 notation. It should just be
>> 1.8.1-incubating.
>>
>> This is a bit tricky to do with Python builds. I don't really want to keep
>> building RCs with the exact same version number. We bake these RCs in real
>> environments, so we need to version them with something that distinguishes
>> one from another. Once we set the version, that propagates into the
>> pkg-info. The plan is to rebuild the final RC that passes without the rc
>> notation, so the release doesn't contain it.
>>

> I understand the rationale but this means that there is a potential
> difference in what is being voted upon and what is eventually being
> published as a release.
>
> thanks
> -- Hitesh

Hi Hitesh,

This is a chicken and egg problem. If we put a non release 1.8.1 online users will download
 and install it. An update to this package will not trigger an upgrade on the user's side
and it is hard to recognize (one will need to compare signature). It puts them at risk.

Do you know how other python projects solved this? I will reach out to the libcloud guys and
ask them how they did it (also python).

Bolke