airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremiah Lowin <jlo...@apache.org>
Subject Airflow Committers: Landscape checks doing more harm than good?
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 23:48:20 GMT
This may be an unpopular opinion, but most Airflow PRs have a little red
"x" next to them not because they have failing unit tests, but because the
Landscape check has decided they introduce bad code.

Unfortunately Landscape is often wrong -- here it is telling me my latest
PR introduced no less than 30 errors... in files I didn't touch!
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/2157 (however, it gives me
credit for fixing 23 errors in those same files, so I've got that going for
me... which is nice.)

The upshot is that Github's "health" indicator can be swayed by minor or
erroneous issues, and therefore it serves little purpose other than making
it look like every PR is bad. This creates committer fatigue, since every
PR needs to be parsed to see if it actually is OK or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for proper style and on occasion Landscape has
pointed out problems that I've gone and fixed. But on the whole, I believe
that having it as part of our red / green PR evaluation -- equal to and
often superseding unit tests -- is harmful. I'd much rather be able to scan
the PR list and know unequivocally that "green" indicates ready to merge.