airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Davydov <dan.davy...@airbnb.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Airflow 1.8.0 based on Airflow 1.8.0rc4
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2017 19:15:30 GMT
Some more issues found by our users in addition to the one Alex reported
and the UI issue when a dagrun doesn't have a start date:
1. If a task fails it fails the whole dagrun immediately fails, this is a
very large change to how control flow works as the rest of the tasks in the
DAG are not run (even e.g. leaf tasks). The same is true of the skipped
status (if a leaf task is skipped then the root task for the DAG will get
skipped and none of the other tasks in the DAG will run).
2. The black squares in the UI for tasks that aren't ready to run yet are
confusing and make it hard for users to see which tasks haven't run yet
(lower contrast). We should never initialize tasks in the DB that do not
have a state (or at the least these should be white).
3. The Dagrun has a get_task_instance method that will fail if a dagrun
doesn't have a copy of a task instance created which we have seen happen
for some DAGs. This prevents those tasks from getting scheduled.

I already patched 3 (and have a PR in flight for open source), and am
working on a patch for 1 internally. 1 should be a blocker for releasing.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Alex Guziel <alex.guziel@airbnb.com.invalid
> wrote:

> I have some concern that this change
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/1939
> [AIRFLOW-679] may be having issues because we are seeing lots of double
> triggers
> of tasks and tasks being killed as a result.
>

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 4:35 PM, Dan Davydov dan.davydov@airbnb.com.INVALID
> wrote:
> Bumping the thread so another user can comment.
>

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Maxime Beauchemin <
>
> maximebeauchemin@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What I meant to ask is "how much engineering effort it takes to bake a
>
> > single RC?", I guess it depends on how much git-fu is necessary plus some
>
> > overhead cost of doing the series of actions/commands/emails/jira.
>

> > I can volunteer for 1.8.1 (hopefully I can get do it along another Airbnb
>
> > engineer/volunteer to tag along) and will try to document/automate
>
> > everything I can as I go through the process. The goal of 1.8.1 could be
>
> > basically package 1.8.0 + Dan's bugfix, and for Airbnb to get familiar
> with
>
> > the process.
>

> > It'd be great if you can dump your whole process on the wiki, and we'll
>
> > improve it on this next pass.
>

> > Thanks again for the mountain of work that went into packaging this
>
> > release.
>

> > Max
>

> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Bolke de Bruin <bdbruin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > > I thought you volunteered to baby sit 1.8.1 Chris ;-)?
>

> > > Sent from my iPhone

> running
>
> > > any

> > > release.