airflow-dev mailing list archives

From Vijay Bhat <vijaysb...@gmail.com>
Subject Thoughts on first PR submission
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:58:01 GMT
Hi all,

I submitted my first PR yesterday - a fix for a simple issue (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-385, reported by Dan Davydov
@aoen) to get the hang of the process. Dan, I'd appreciate it if you could
take a look - https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/1842

Overall my experience was smooth compared to other Apache projects - the
dev and test frameworks are straightforward, and clearly documented. What
helped me the most was this doc in the github repo:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md. I
think it would be really helpful for other new contributors if we linked to
it from the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Contributors%27+Guide.

The Travis CI build gave me repeated trouble with spurious failures. I had
to resubmit the build 3 times before I could get it to succeed. I've heard
several people mention this to be an issue (including at the recent
roadmapping meeting), do we know why it's happening? It seems to happen
only on the apache repo of airflow, and not on my personal airflow fork.
Glad to dig in deeper, but wanted to check in what people know so far.

Thanks!
Vijay