airflow-dev mailing list archives

From "Maycock, Luke" <luke.mayc...@affiliate.oliverwyman.com>
Subject Re: Airflow Logging
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:43:03 GMT
Carrying on from the below. We believe it would be useful to have a number of additional configuration
options for logs as below. Do you think there are any important options we have missed or
do you have any other feedback? If so, please let us know.

Global

CLEAR_INHERITED_LOGGING_SETTINGS (Boolean)
Clears any handlers, inherited from the root logger, from the Airflow logger object and its
children.

LOG_TO_DEBUG_FILE (Boolean)

Turn on/off logging of all events to a file.

LOG_TO_ERROR_FILE (Boolean)
Turn on/off the logging of all errors to a file.

LOG_TO_CONSOLE (Boolean)
Turn on/off the logging of all events to the console.

Per log file
The Python logging library, being used for logging in the Airflow code, has the ability to
rotate log files based on time:

•         TimedRotatingFileHandler - (https://docs.python.org/2.6/library/logging.html#timedrotatingfilehandler)
- rotates based on the product of when and interval (see below).

The TimedRotatingFileHandler takes the following arguments:

 *   Filename – the filename
 *   When – used to specify the type of interval
 *   Interval – defines the interval
 *   BackupCount - If backupCount is nonzero, at most backupCount files will be kept, and
if more would be created when rollover occurs, the oldest one is deleted. The deletion logic
uses the interval to determine which files to delete, so changing the interval may leave old
files lying around.
 *   Encoding - if encoding is not ‘None’, it is used to open the file with that encoding.
 *   Delay - if delay is true, then file opening is deferred until the first call to emit()
– I don’t think this is suitable to expose as an Airflow configuration option.
 *   UTC - if the UTC argument is true, times in UTC will be used; otherwise local time is
used.
I believe all of the above, except ‘delay’, should be exposed as Airflow configuration.

Cheers,
Luke Maycock
OLIVER WYMAN
luke.maycock@affiliate.oliverwyman.com<mailto:luke.maycock@affiliate.oliverwyman.com>